Posted on July 9, 2011
On July 8th, 2011, the Korean American Voters’ Council (KAVC) partnered with New Jersey’s largest non-profit legal services organization, the Northeast New Jersey Legal Services. KAVC and the NNJLS look forward to providing expanded legal assistance to the Korean American Community.
– KAVC gathers Korean Americans in need of legal aid.
– KAVC provides interpretation and translation aid to facilitate Korean Americans
– NNJLS will provide seminars and legal services.
How to Utilize:
– Call KAVC (201-488-4201) to confirm the type of case and legal aid eligibility.
– If eligible, scheduling will be made with NNJLS..
– Following the interview, NNJLS will represent you or assist in finding a different organization for help.
The KAVC and the NNJLS agreed to hold the Low Income Taxpayer Clinic and the Senior Citizen Law Project as the pilot programs jointly.
1. Residents of Bergen, Hudson, Passaic Counties
2. Low Income Taxpayer Clinic: Must be in the 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, Disputed Tax Amount is less than $50,000.
Senior Citizen Law Project: Senior citizen over the age of 60.
3. NNJLS will determine the serviceability of the case following the first interview.
First LITC Workshop
Wednesday, July 13, 2PM
Korean Translation/Interpretation Volunteers
In support of this partnership, KAVC is looking for Korean volunteers who can interpret/translate
– Must be fluent in both Korean and English
– Must complete basic interpretation and ethics training (First session in early August).