The Application Period for the 2022 KACE Grassroots Internship Program is now open!
**THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE 2022 GRASROOTS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IS CLOSED**
Since its launch in 2004, over 300 high school students throughout New Jersey and New York have joined our annual high school internship program. Under supervision, students will research and lead public campaigns to raise awareness of various important issues. Students will also have the opportunity to meet with elected officials and engage with members of the local, state, and federal legislature.
Through this unique program, our summer interns will learn:
- The importance of registering Korean Americans as voters;
- The issues facing the Korean American community today; and
- The process of organizing and mobilizing the Korean American community.
Our program is specifically devoted to developing all the inherent skills of our interns as they go out and experience firsthand what it takes to help and support the community.
Students with demonstrated interest in public policy, politics, and history are encouraged to apply. Our program is open to high school students of all backgrounds that are interested in contributing to our community’s civic empowerment.
Full Program: 22 Weeks (May 27, 2022 through October 22, 2022); Unpaid Position
- Pre-Session (5 Weeks): May 27th – June 24th (Weekly Meetings; 2 Hrs/Week)
- Main-Session (8 Weeks): June 27th – August 19th (Daily Meetings; 21 Hrs/Week)
- Post-Session (9 Weeks): August 25th – October 21st (Weekly Meetings; 2 Hrs/Week)
Those who successfully complete the program may also be eligible for the President’s Volunteer Service Award (“PVSA”), citations from elected officials, and letters of recommendation from KACE. Interns will have the opportunity to earn approximately 250 qualifying community service hours for the PVSA. Please refer to the official website for the PVSA for the most up to date eligibility requirements (https://presidentialserviceawards.org/eligibility).
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM:
Only high school students are eligible to apply for the 2022 KACE Grassroots Internship Program. Applicants will be selected based upon the following factors:
- Commitment to serving the Korean American community;
- Ability to relate with people of all backgrounds, age, creeds, and gender;
- Ability to work consistently and patiently for long-term team efforts;
- Willingness to extend their help and go long distances even on weekends;
- Communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Bilingual skills (English and Korean) is a strong plus, but not required.
Interns are required to meet performance expectations just as would any other employee. These expectations include punctuality, responsibility, integrity, productivity, team participation, and specialized knowledge.
Candidates for the program are selected after an application and interview process. There is no fee required for the 22-week summer internship, which will consist of a hybrid of virtual and in-person meetings. Applications are only being accepted via the online application. Hardcopy submissions will not be accepted at this time. A link to the application submission page can be found at the bottom of this page. The deadline to apply is May 13, 2022. *THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE 2022 GRASROOTS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IS CLOSED* Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Space is limited, applications are reviewed for consideration on a rolling basis in the order they are received, and positions may be filled to capacity prior to the deadline. Applications will not be accepted after 5PM on May 13, 2022 . Incomplete responses or failure to upload required documents may result in the rejection of your application. Candidates will be pre-selected, contacted, and scheduled for a final one-on-one interview and personal skill evaluation. If you are selected to move onto the next stage for an interview over Zoom, you will be contacted with further instructions via the email address you provide.
The Following five(5) documents are required and must be submitted together for consideration:
- 2022 KACE Applicant Information Form (link for download)
- School ID (Front and Back)
- Personal Statement (further instructions below)
- Most Recent School Transcript
Failure to send any of the required documents may result in the automatic rejection of your entire application.
Personal Statement Instructions:
Please watch this 13-minute video on the history of Korean America at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ixixzMZ94
After watching, choose one (1) of the following topics to write about:
- If you are Korean American, tell us about some challenges you faced and how you overcame those challenges.
- What are some obstacles Korean Americans face as a community? What are some ways the Korean American community can go about dealing with these obstacles? Include examples.
- What does civic engagement and grassroots mean to you? Why do you think civic engagement and grassroots movements are so powerful? Include examples
Your Personal Statement must also adhere to these guidelines:
- 1 inch margins;
- Double- spaced;
- Font: Times New Roman;
- Font Size: 12pt;
- No more than 500 words; and
- If you are a previous KACE intern, please choose a different prompt than the one that you answered previously.
For any inquiries or questions regarding the program, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 961-4117. You may also visit our Facebook page for pictures from our previous years of the KACE Grassroots Internship Program.