Since its launch in 2006, over 200 high school students in New York and New Jersey have joined KACE’s annual high school internship program. The 2020 KACE Grassroots Internship Program is a unique opportunity to experience first-hand community organization through grassroots civic participation. Under supervision, students will take on research projects on various issues within our community and lead public campaigns to raise awareness and reach solutions.
Students with demonstrated interest in public policy and politics have greatly enjoyed our program, but the 2020 KACE Grassroots Internship Program is open to all high school students interested in civic empowerment of our community.
Through an application and interview process, students will be selected for the New York or New Jersey program. There is no fee required for the 22-week summer internship (except for a field trip to Washington, D.C.), and those who successfully complete the program are eligible for the President’s Volunteer Service Award, as well as several letters of recognition from elected officials.
The 2020 KACE Grassroots Internship Program is structured as below:
Pre-Session (Weekly Meetings, May 29th – June 26th)
- Asian American & Korean American History
- Structure of Local, State, and Federal Government
- Exploration of the Korean American Identity
- Individual & Small Group Research
Main Session (Daily Meetings, June 29th – August 28th)
- 2020 Korean American Grassroots Conference in Washington, D.C. (July 29th – 31st)
- Field Trip to Capitol Hill & Meeting with Members of Congress
- Field Trip to New York and New Jersey Statehouses & Meeting with Members of the State Legislature
- Field Trip to New York City Hall & Meeting with Members of the City Council
- Voter Registration & Community Education Efforts
- Presentation of Individual & Small Group Research
Post-Session (Weekly Meetings, September 4th – October 23rd)
- Discussion, Seminar, and Workshop on Real-Life Application of Education Material
All inquiries regarding the program: firstname.lastname@example.org or (718) 961-4117. Please visit our Facebook page to check out pictures from the 2019 KACE Grassroots Internship Program.